The last two years we’ve seen a comeback in the men’s fashion world that we honestly didn’t expect- the return of the mustache! And not just to the faces of Portland’s hipsters. What’s equally amusing is the trend to keep it well manicured- and we are here to help. To keep your precious whiskers from going astray, every man needs to find the best mustache wax to style and groom his mustache! Ever see a guy and think that he has one of the best mustaches you have ever seen? That didn’t happen by accident. He likely uses mustache wax.
This is no small matter, mustache styling is serious business. When it comes to mustache wax, there are many options to choose from, and incorporating one of the best mustache wax products into your daily regime helps open the door to a world of creativity when it comes to your mustache. We’ve scoured the internet for the best waxes and only the cream of the crop made the list. Through our journey, we’ve written these short summaries of some of the very best mustache waxes, and what separates them from the pack.
10 Best Mustache Wax Products of 2017
The best mustache wax for you depends largely on the style of mustache you have or are trying to grow. If you simply want to point the ends of your mustache, then nearly any wax will suffice. However, if you have a brushy mustache, a soft wax is ideal. On the other hand, if your mustache is in need of some shaping, a stiffer wax is the way to go.
One of my undisputed top choices, Woodsman Mustache Wax from The Bearded Bastard is another extremely solid, stiff wax that makes accomplishing even the most brave stache styles a breeze. Like the vast majority of the others on our rundown, this item is made using only natural ingredients.
In our list of the best mustache waxes, this one has one of the manliest, toughest scents. With a mix of cedarwood, sandalwood and pine vital oils, the scent certainly satisfies the Woodsman name.
You can practically smell the pine trees that you are chopping down with your axe!
Nonetheless, take note of that some men may encounter skin aggravation or hypersensitivities from these oils, which is the reason the producer prescribes doing a skin test before slathering it on your stache.
The can itself is topped with a branded cedarwood label, while the wax inside smells of rich Texas Cedarwood, Sandalwood, and Pine Needles. It provides not only an amazing hold, but it also conditions your mustache thanks to a petroleum-free concoction of Beeswax, Lanolin, Cocoa Butter, and Jojoba oil.
- Subtle woodsy scent of cedar and pine
- Made in the USA
- Hold Lasts
- Only available in 1oz Size
- Hard wax; might take more than just hand heat to warm up
We recently added The Gentlemen’s Beard to our lineup in order to replace a wax that’s unfortunately no longer being made. However, this is one of Amazon’s best sellers, so it has well earned it’s spot on our list of best mustache waxes. The Gentlemen’s Bear boasts an all day and evening hold, so you can take your look from the office to happy hour without re-grooming.
It’s also fragrance free, which we like to highlight because some people are very sensitive to smell and/or the oils that are used to scent products- especially one that’s literally right under your nose. This 2oz supply should last your for months, since it only needs to be applied once a day. The brand also promises your money back without question if it doesn’t meet the expectations of your sweet sweet ‘stache.
- Day and Evening Hold without reapplication
- Fragrance Free
- 100% Money Back Promies
- Not strong enough for “Fancier” looks
- More Wiry and Coarse Haired Stache’s won’t hold together as well
Handmade using privately sourced beeswax, Stache Bomb Stache Wax is one of most loved gentler mustache waxes we’ve come across. It highlights a masculine, wonderful scent that is reminiscent of citrus and pine while giving enough hold to keep those stray hairs on point for the duration of the day. So if you’re searching for a delicate, decent strength wax, this is the bomb.
Stache Bomb Stache Wax was inspired by the mustache wielders of yesteryear who rode motorcycles across the country, who wore a monocle, or those hipsters who prefer to drink cheap craft beer from a can. I’ve haven’t actually used Stache Bomb Stache Wax yet, but the fancy, vintage-inspired artwork featuring busty mascot Stache Bomb Stacy straddling a bomb on the can alone is enough to make me start. That, and the manly pine scent.
- Strong enough for handlebars or curled looks
- Pick/Applicator included
- Made by mustache enthusiasts
- No scent
- Contains beeswax which could be an irritant- test on skin first
- Requires touching up after a while
Most mustache waxes are either petroleum-based or other synthetics. Moustache Wrestler Mustache Wax uses neither and instead offers an all natural, handmade alternative to other waxes on the market, complete with sustainably managed local wax from Michigan bees.
Gentleman-in-Charge Doug Geiger (CEO) assures you each formula has been tested by himself over many months for longevity and scent. Doug promises this wax will tackle even the toughest of your stache hairs with a smile on his face. Of all the mustache wax reviews we have done, this is probably best wax for mustache shaping.
- One of the strongest holds available
- All natural ingredients
- Hand made and packed
- Stiff at first, can be difficult for beginners to apply
- Longer application and shaping time needed
- Might need a hair dryer to make it malleable
Available in three different colors, Firehouse Mustache Wax is a much loved wax, and this stuff will make your stache style ready to face practically anything. Since firefighters aren’t typically permitted to wear a full beard for safety reasons, almost every one of them sports a mustache at some point in their career.
Fighting fires in the scorching heat and humidity of the summer months can be tough on a mustache, which is why Mississippi Firefighter John Pitts designed this wax to withstand both.
The Firehouse Light wax is intended for those men with blonde or dim facial hair, while the Firehouse Dark is better for men with ruddy or earthy hair. Lastly, the Firehouse Wacky Tacky Mustache Wax is ideal for any darker shade of hair. The Wacky Tacky is the organization’s best-offering, and probably the best holding mustache wax around. Still, regardless of what your hair color is, you can’t turn out badly with Firehouse.
- Helps thicken up thinner looks
- Dries Clear
- Includes petroleum
- Tacky feel even when dry
If you took the time growing an impressive mustache, you might as well take care of it. For those looking for something a little more artistic and natural, ArtNaturals is where its at. Proper mustache treatment is essential for any man sporting the Mo, and a good place to start is with a can of ArtNaturals Balm.
Each tin is handcrafted and hand poured from hops, vegetable waxes, mango, and shea butter for added control, strength, and conditioning, with scents of cedar and sage thrown in for good measure. It will leave you with one of the best looking mustaches around! It can also be used as a lip balm during the dry winter months.
- Soothing for sensitive, itchy, or dry skin
- Thin application won’t weight you down
- Perfect for taming unruly beards and mustaches
- Not intended for styling or shaping mustaches
- Slightly oily finish
Handmade in good ole Georgia-USA, Wild Wille’s is crafted from a robust blend of 7 butters, carrier oils, and essential along with some other “classified” ingredients that are kept secret to prevent imitation.
Wild Wille’s does not use the crap, we’re talking about preservatives, chemicals, fragrances and other unfriendly substances. Their slogan is “The Only Hard Wax with 7 Natural Ingredients.”
- Available in two sizes
- Original or Mint Scent
- Moisturizes hair and skin
- Made for fancy and simple styles
- Essential Oils
- Stronger scents than some
- Some reports of quality control issues by users
- Some ingredients contain allergens
Clubman’s wax is another vintage-inspired mustache wax on this list featuring a no nonsense branding on the tube. While the name is a bit silly and in no way rolls off of the tongue easily, it is quite a functional can of wax.
Its a mixture of 100% natural beeswax and organic extra-virgin raw Samoan coconut oil that not only spruces up your mustache and makes it smell of delicious coconut, pine needles, and rum, but can also be used to tackle other manly chores around the house such as lubricating a stuck chainsaw or treating your favorite pair of leather boots.
- Unique casing and application; more convenient than balm containers
- Blends and covers gray hairs
- Best for the on-the-go look
- Easily washes out
- Not great for longer moustache styles
- Greasy finish
Fisticuffs Mustache wax is one of the best mustache wax products out there. A super high quality wax, this one comes in a longer tin, although still features the familiar industry tough guy on their logo! This is a neutral colour so it can be used on any colour hair, and offers superb hold, so if you have plans to grow the best mustache ever, this will set you on your way!
The best reason to buy a can of Fisticuffs is the can itself, which features a 19th-century bare-knuckled boxer back from the dead with an awesome mustache, looking to go fisticuffs with whoever is willing.
- Citrus + Rosemary Scent not overbearing
- Can “handle” curves of your mustache
- No discoloration
- Decent Hold
- Scent is not for everyone!
- Softer wax not great for long term styling
Known as “The Dapper Man’s Best Friend,” Badger Balm Mustache Wax is best applied right before you doing all of those awesome things that men did back when men were men and wore mustaches while they drag raced their ’55 Chevy hot rods and smoked Camel cigarettes. The can boasts vintage-inspired artwork, while the wax inside is crafted from locally harvested and triple filtered beeswax that smells of the sweet pipe tobacco your grandfather used to smoke while twirling his mustache.
- Certified Organic
- Easy to restyle and rinse out
- Experts in Men’s hair and skin care
- No parabens or GMO’s
- Not stiff enough for styling thick hair
- Might be difficult for beginners to manipulate
- Bergamot scent might not be everyone’s cup of tea…
General Thoughts on Mustache Wax
A waxed mustache is a subtle way to style your facial hair, especially if you do it right. Though a properly groomed mustache is maintainable, an unruly mustache can be off-putting and a maintenance nightmare. Never before in history have there been so many options when it comes time to choosing the best mustache wax or trainer (Wax and Trainer are terms used interchangeably). Most men have remarked that they prefer a lighter wax that aids in basic maintenance and prevents stray hairs. The gritty mustache wax is more like glue, gives a nice hold, and allows you to craft handle bars or whatever else you fancy. It makes the hairs feel very stiff.
It can be tough to choose between hairy and clean-shaven, but there is a lot more stuff that you can do when you have facial hair, and waxing your mustache is just one of them.
All of the best mustache styles will require some sort of wax to execute. The latest buzz about mustaches has led to a never-ending array of trainer or wax choices, making it a matter of trial and error for most mustache enthusiasts when trying to choose the best mustache wax.
Things to Consider When Selecting the Best Mustache Wax
These are some things you should consider before going out a buying a dozen waxes. In any case, there are always genetic differences in each man’s mustache. Because of this, one man’s mustache may take well to a certain wax, while another’s will fight it off with vigor.
Surprisingly, there is a multitude of options to choose from when looking for the best mustache wax.
Some Factors to Consider
- Type of Container – The best mustache waxes are typically sold in small tub-like containers, but some come in tube or stick form as well.
- Strength/Stiffness – Mustache waxes arrive in an assortment of stiffnesses, extending from gentle hold to amazingly stubborn. If you’re basically hoping to keep those stray hairs at bay, you can simply run with a gentler wax. If you’re looking to thoroughly style or shape your stache’, you ought think about picking up a stiffer wax that will set firm and hold everything throughout the day. It also depends on your mustache style. The best mustache wax for handlebars won’t necessarily be right for other styles of ‘stache. Simply remember that the stiffer or harder the wax is, the more time it will take to remove it at day’s end (some waxes may require an exceptional wax remover to be completely washed off).
- Scent – While you may feel that scent isn’t too important, remember that you’ll be wearing the wax directly underneath your nostrils all day long! So it is essential to pick something that you’re OK with noticing throughout the day.
- Color – Mustache waxes also come in an assortment of different colors, which means it is critical to pick something that takes after the shade of your facial hair. Then again, you could likewise pick an alternative colored mustache wax, however you should know that some waxes are white and may emphasize silver or lighter colored hairs. Then again, a darker colored wax can conceal dim hairs.
- Price – Price is often the main consideration when deciding where to buy mustache wax, but since only a small amount is needed, the price is typically not a critical factor. Nevertheless, the price differences of various brands may be worthy of consideration.
How to Apply Mustache Wax
Here is an excellent video by the renowned Beard Baron about how to use mustache wax: